Refresh (ri-fresh) – to invigorate, to energize.
Our new menu has been months in research and development. We’ve taken a close look at each and every dish – reimagining, reengineering and refreshing.
We tested and sampled and tweaked again – Finally deciding on refreshed versions of old favorites, and finding some tasty new items along the way.
What does Refresh mean through Flying Star Cafe’s eyes?
6 Brand New Dishes
- Including (yes, we heard you!) Pasta Misto – Artichoke Hearts, pitted Kalamata olives, Pecorino Romano cheese, pancetta, grape tomatoes and imported Cavatappi pasta tossed and lightly coated with a butter white wine sauce
16 Refreshed Dishes, such as:
- ABC Patty Melt – now more flavorful – served on our delicious, freshly baked marble rye
- Athena (formerly Greek Goddess) – with more fried feta chunks, Kalamata olives and fresh basil
- Avocado Caesar – you won’t believe the deliciousness of the crunchy, creamy avocado!
1 New Menu Category – Shareable Snacks
- Before your meal or anytime – try the Arancini – cheesy, quinoa, risotto poppers with spicy harissa dipping sauce
Plus a new selection of Cookies & Bars – smaller, for those of you who just want a sweet bite!
View more photos here
“Ultimately, we want to keep our menu fun and exciting for our customers. And most of all, we LOVE what we do … and we care about what our customers put in their mouths.”
So how does Flying Star reengineer a menu?
We take it apart and then, put it back together again – improved!
Here are a few things we’ve done:
The Buddha Bowl
When we researched the history of this dish, we saw that most customers added chicken. What if we included chicken (or organic tofu) and more veggies and reduced the amount of rice? What if we could adjust the price, too? Result – $1.60 less*!
Athena (formerly Greek Goddess)
What if we added more bite size fried feta chunks, organic spinach, pitted Kalamata olives and fresh basil? Reengineered, this salad is priced at $2 less*!
California Dreaming (formerly Californian)
We’ve reengineered the recipe to add more crunchy and creamy ingredients (and said bye bye mushrooms) for a sandwich that tastes better!
Why Re-engineer menu items that our customers love just the way they are?
“We always want to stay fresh. We watch customer trends and heed comments. If we think we can tweak a dish so our customers will like it better, we will.”
*Our new menu starts on Wednesday, June 4. Get more Sneak Peeks by following @flyingstarcafe on Twitter and Instagram.
#SneakPeek #June4 #Reengineered #Menu
“We want to create a sense of anticipation and discovery every time a customer walks through our doors, no matter how many times they’ve been to Flying Star Cafe.”
So we’ve Reimagined our menu by asking ‘What if?’
What if we placed our customers’ beloved Turkey Jack on a Fiesta Roll? The result – delicious! More chile cheese flavor.
What if we added more crunchy veggies to the Chinese Crunch Salad? What if we cut the chicken into bite-size pieces and tossed them with the rest of the ingredients? The result – more flavor, more value and goodness in every bite.
What if we piled roasted golden beets and our housemade sweet red onion marmalade onto the former Veggie Delight? The result – a Stuffed Veggie Sub – lots of layers, meaty and hugely satisfying.
Our new menu begins Wednesday, June 4. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram for more Sneak Peeks:
@flyingstarcafe #SneakPeek #June4 #Reimagined #Menu
At Flying Star, you can
Come as you are.
Wear your jeans.
Bring the kids, your other half, the dog.
Hang out on our Petio.
Get your favorite dish or try something new.
Have some wine.
Splurge on dessert.
pair with Bonterra Chardonnay
view more dishes Moms love
Since we opened in 1987, we’ve selected thousands of fresh ingredients and served hundreds of thousands of cooked-to-order dishes. We know you have your favorites, but how about a second look at all that our menu has to offer, all day, everyday?
Under ‘Dishes’ have you tried the Enchilada Stack with homemade red or green and soft corn tortillas? Or Free Form Chicken Pot Pie with white meat chicken breast and fresh veggies in a creamy gravy topped with a big homemade flaky pie crust, like a ‘biscuit’?
Or how about one of our big 100% NM beef burgers on a fresh baked, soft challah bun?
Don’t forget Dessert – new for the season – Coconut Lemon Raspberry cake and Double Chocolate Indulgence.
Join us for dinner tonight – View full menu
Our chefs and buyers have been working closely with RedBird™ to create a new product exclusively for Flying Star Cafe. The result is delicious young chicken, seasoned and hand-formed into a patty.
With farms based in Colorado and Arizona, RedBird™ became the symbol of quality for all-natural chicken many years ago. The chickens are raised with only vegetarian feed, and without antibiotics, artificial ingredients or added color. This assures tender, juicy, great tasting birds.
Add avocado, pepper jack, crisp slaw and a fresh baked Challah bun, and you have our new Bird Burger. It’s fresh, light and packed with flavor! We look forward to hearing your feedback on this new dish.
– refreshing and tweaking our menu – starting with breakfast. How logical is that?!
And we have some new options on healthy breakfasts without giving up your ability to indulge.
- Veggie Bennie has earned its place as a full time menu item
- Breakfast Hash is now Power Hash – boosted with more superfoods. We’ve added organic kale to the organic quinoa, sweet potatoes, mushrooms and red peppers in this hearty dish (and it’s Gluten-Not). And, you can substitute avocado for the egg on top
- New and almost vegan, our Spicy Tofu Tacos sport marinated, sautéed tofu, choice of corn or flour tortillas, avocado, sautéed veggies, salsa and harissa pesto mayo (hold the mayo for vegan) (Gluten-Not with corn tortillas)
There are lots of good tweaks to your favorite breakfast dishes, too:
- The BYO Omelet has been reimagined with more of the ingredients you’ve requested
- Egg breakfasts may now be ordered with a blueberry pancake or a flapjack instead of toast
- Cage-free egg whites can substitute for whole eggs
- White corn tortillas now available in place of flour
- We’re cooking with all butter unless you request olive oil blend
- Beginning in early April, Greek yogurt will be our only yogurt
- Fresh pineapple has joined the fresh fruit assortment
We love breakfast! That’s why it’s available all day, every day. Come in and explore.
Are you trying to eat lighter and healthier? Maybe even cutting back on the meat or intrigued by a plant-based diet? At Flying Star Café, we’re peeling, slicing and dicing fresh fruits and veggies – 45 in all – every day.
We’ve lots of choices for you. Here are just a few of our favorites:
- Hearty Winter Greens and Grains with organic kale, organic quinoa, edamame, roasted pistachios & feta, garbanzos, golden beets & raisins, lemon honey dressing (Gluten-Not)
- Sweet and savory Crave – Organic field greens, blue cheese, toasted almonds, strawberries, tart apples, oranges, dried cranberries, tomatillo vinaigrette (Gluten-Not)
- Buddha Bowl(or Little Buddha) – fresh, stir fried broccoli, jicama, red pepper, mushrooms and edamame with lemongrass ginger sauce, choice of organic jasmine or brown rice (add tofu if you like)
- Garden Harvest – NM goat cheese, sweet potatoes, asparagus, golden beets, zucchini, crimini mushrooms, grilled polenta cake, rich mushroom broth (Gluten-Not)
- Moove-Over Meat Burger – Spicy southwest black bean patty, cheddar cheese, cajun dressing, lettuce, tomato, red onion, pickle on a housemade challah bun
Breakfast All Day
- Spanish Fritatta has whipped eggs, thinly shaved papitas, swiss cheese, green onions, gazpacho salad, salsa (Gluten-Not)
- Breakfast Hash with organic red quinoa, crimini mushrooms, sweet potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, red peppers, red & green onions, topped with a basted egg (Gluten-Not)
Lots of ways to lighten up! And there’s more…. Simply explore …. menu
Wild-caught in the icy waters of the northern Atlantic Ocean, abundant haddock thrives off the coasts of northern Maine, Canada, Norway and Iceland. Though decades ago the species was over-harvested and depleted, conservation laws have allowed haddock to repopulate in their natural habitat. Enjoy wild Atlantic haddock while they’re plentiful and sustainable!
Delicate in flavor, with a flaky texture, the versatile haddock tastes great in so many different preparations. Our Fish Tacos have been a best seller since day one – tender grilled haddock with pickled veggies, slaw and chipotle sauce, wrapped in flour tortillas.
The Fish Dish is light, tasty and healthful – a pan seared filet of haddock with Chef Willem’s seasoned butter, accompanied by fresh sautéed spinach and Israeli couscous. Fine Dining without the price tag.
When you’re craving deep-fried – go to Flying Star Fish & Chips. Wash it down with one of our New Mexico microbrews.
Which one will you try first?
You know how we feel. We’ll always be dedicated to sourcing local and regional products whenever possible. We’ll always be dedicated to the humane treatment of animals.
We support New Mexico family cattle ranchers in our quest for the best burgers.
What else? The cattle are slaughtered nearby in a Temple Grandin state-of-the-art facility.
Who’s Temple Grandin? She is an American PHD of animal science. Her humane animal handling systems and slaughterhouse designs are slowly but surely transforming the way the US treats animals for human consumption. (She’s also the most famous autistic person in the world today. Read more about this remarkable woman here.)
To highlight our delicious burgers, we’ve made some updates.
- Chef Cyril’s new Challah Bun, hand-made each day in our bakery
- With a mini-version for the Petite Burger
- Now serving our NM Burger on a Fiesta Roll
- A new seasoning blend for the burger patty, making it more flavorful
- A new cooking method, to keep the burger more juicy
- We’re now serving fries in a cup, which will keep them hotter, longer
What’s not changing:
- The price
- The portion size
- The quality of our 100% New Mexico beef
Enjoy what you’re eating, and feel good about it, too.